Wednesday, June 4, 2008

3 Door Closet

Is there a nontechnological field similar to HCI (Human Computer Interaction)? Because when I stare at my closet, I wonder, did whoever design it actually try to use it? They seriously need to learn how humans interact with a closet.

It's not that bad, but so you can all understand, It's a master bedroom closet (not walk-in) and has 3 sliding doors, evenly taking a 3rd each of the closet. However, there's only 2 rails, so 2 doors are on one rail, and the third is on a different one. This means you can only have 1/3 of the closet available to you at a time.

Now, the closet itself, is partioned into 2, with a shoe like rack built into the center. So basically the 3 openings you can get via the doors, do not match the layout of the closet. I want to fire whoever made this closet. It's only slightly bigger than what someone would expect from a regular room closet, why not just stick with 2 doors half the size of the closet, like every other closet?

Or at least have 3 rails. I guesss this guy hasn't ever had fun with a 3-board whiteboard or chalkboard. Hmm... A white board closet, now that's an idea...

3 comments:

mattvonb said...

There's a well regarded book called "The Design of Everyday Things" that talks about how you should make stuff like doors and teapots. I've only skimmed it, but have meant to read it forever.

MarkovX said...

Thanks, I think I'm going to get that, seems like a good read.

Michael said...

I've read a chapter or two and liked it... but I'm not sure I could read it forever :) I think I would get bored.