Thursday, February 28, 2008

More Higher Up

Even though I don't play Magic anymore, I'm a constant reader of their site. Recently they posted this great archive of old articles of Richard Garfield. I highly suggest reading through them if you have any interest in game design.

After reading his articles on the creation of his game, 'The Great Dalmuti', I just reminisced on the countless hours my cousins and I played tiến lên (even though I thought it was always called tiến lân). I don't know what's so addicting about that game. Maybe because the game is short and has a lot of variety. Or maybe for those, 'ah hah!' moments where you beat someone's 2 of hearts with a bomb. Or maybe, I just like counting cards, and this is an easy game to count cards with. Actually, you have to count cards to do well in the game. which brings me to a different point, I don't understand how Casinos have made people think 'counting cards' is considered cheating outside of the casino. They need to play some tiến lên

No comments: