Working at a gaming studios is definitely interesting.
One interesting dynamic is that only 1/4 of the lights are on at work. If any of you know me, I like light. and I like light all the time. I like the lights on during a movie, and not just a little light, butas much as I can.
Well, this kind of poses an interesting situation at work. The first week I was working here, I was actually right next to a window, so the daylight was bright enough to keep me normal. But then I got moved closer to the HGL team, and put into a corner where all the cubicle-ish walls block the light from the windows, and the 1/4 of them from the ceiling that are on. It's like total pitch black. I don't understand how the person before me was able to work. A & K refer to it as the 'bat cave'
But I guess being in computer science, I have learned a lot of students like working in the dark. And quite a few gamers like to play in the dark (I have the glow in the dark gaming keyboard to re-affirm that, even though i don't use it in the dark). So I guess Gaming programmers really like the darkness.
Well. I remedied the situation and brought two lamps. However, I bought too bright of bulbs, and so on the other side of my cubicle-ish area, you can see bright white spots. I just leave it as a nice surprise to anyone who walks on the other side.
But again, I ask, what's the fascination with working in the dark?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think it maybe helps some people achieve 'flow' or get them 'in the zone' by reducing distractions. All you can see is the glowing screen and everything else around you is dark. Then again having a nice, quiet office would have the same effect I would suppose. (and what I would prefer :)
Post a Comment